Friday, November 21, 2008

Cherry Squares

One of my fondest childhood memories is the memory of my mom cooking and baking in the kitchen. I loved to sit and watch her create delicious food and breathe in the enticing aromas of whatever she was creating. Mom would made yummy cherry squares, there were five children in our family and it was something that actually all five of us loved...that's no easy task.. When I had my own children I got the cherry squares recipe from her and started making them for my family. It became an instant favorite treat, but somehow over the years.....became forgotten....recently my eldest daughter (now 19 years old) asked me if I would make them for the holidays like I use to. Over time both I and my mom misplaced the recipe...and as simple as it is to make I just could not recall the recipe well enough to make it by memory. So today I thought why not google it?...to my surprise that old familiar recipe popped up....I'm so thrilled and can't wait to make some.

Cherry Squares

Ingredients:
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
21 ounces cherry pie filling

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly butter and flour a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan.

Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add flour, beating well. Stir in flavorings. Pour the batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

Lightly cut through the batter with a small knife to mark off individual squares. Spoon about 1 tablespoon pie filling in center of each square.

Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly browned (the batter will puff up around filling while baking). Cool cake in pan 10 minutes. Cut into squares, and remove from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's what YOU said...

HeartAttackInABox Archive